Miranda's Tandem Hip Carry
It is so unfortunate that I didn't learn this carry until after the girls turned 2 because I would have used it so much in our early days. It requires the use of two short woven wraps (size 3 or 4) instead of one long wrap, as well as a large sling ring. It is ideal to wait to use this carry until your littles have steady head control. (You want to make sure that baby won’t risk being able to slump their necks/close their airways!) Stretchies are not recommended for this carry since there are not 3 passes that gove over baby. This carry is great for outings, walks, and anything that does not require a large range of arm motion. You can pre-tie this carry before you leave the house too, making it easier to handle your littles while you are out and about! AND the best part? You can use this carry to wear babies of different sizes, and taking one out does not affect the other one! (Unlike Amanda's Tandem Hip Carry, where each baby depends on the other to distribute the weight.) Does it get any better than that?
- Learning the “single baby” variation, ROBIN’S HIP CARRY, (ring variation) can help you get a better handle on mastering this wrap! (This carry is typically done with a size 3/4 woven wrap also)
- If you are wrapping smaller babies who have limited head control, you can roll wash cloths under the top rail/ their necks for additional head support
- Be sure to spread the neck pass over your shoulders for max comfort. It will keep the wrap from digging into you and distribute the weight evenly, leaving the carry to feel weightless. Because this carry has a double layered shoulder, be sure to take your time and really get to know your carry.
- This carry can be done with larger babies (so far I’ve seen up to 25-30 lbs EACH baby fit just fine!) AND of course smaller babies who have some head control
- This carry is great for tandem nursing if you position it just right when you wrap 😉
- This carry is SIBLING FRIENDLY! This means that you can wear babies of two significantly different sizes! This carry is completely independent so you can take each in and out as you please without the other being affected.
Learn how to wrap this carry
Watch how to wrap this carry in "Real Time Action"
Follow Twinmommy101's board BABYWEARING on Pinterest.